Thursday, March 20, 2008

Happy New Year!!

For those of you not down with Persian/Iranian customs, today is the New Year! So Happy New Year!

Or as you would say in Farsi: Eideh Shomah Mobarak

Did you get that? Great.

Here's a little background on the "holiday" and its roots: http://www.persianmirror.com/celebrations/noruz/noruz.cfm#hist

With New Year comes the setting of the "Haft Sin" or "Seven S's, each representing something different: http://www.persianmirror.com/celebrations/noruz/noruz.cfm#haft

Oh, I did neglect to mention that on Tuesday we "jumped over the fire" as Christine put it. That is referred to as "Chahar Shanbeh Suri" and here is some info on that: http://www.persianmirror.com/celebrations/noruz/noruz.cfm#chahar

Man, I wish I had taken pictures of Belinga trying to say the little phrase in Farsi while jumping over a Yankee Candle in our dining room. :-)

Iranian New Year was always fun as a kid b/c it was a random holiday I got to take off and basically go to a park and barbecue with other Iranians. It was also marked by wearing all new clothes from head to toe and getting money from your elders. As I've gotten older though, my "new" items seem to get less and less each year, last year it was a new pair of underwear and this year I couldn't even muster that so I sported a new pair of knee high stockings. Wow, so exciting.

Also, now that I'm older, it sucks b/c I now have to give money to the people who are younger than me! Which I totally call BS on, no fair! I liked being a "kid" when I had no responsibilities!

Ok, the history and culture lesson for today is done! :-)

1 comment:

Bordenia! said...

kool sena oo inti salmeh